Just a few days away before we arrive on the island. I recently made a post on how much I appreciated this forum and our upcoming SXM vacation. With that several member encouraged me to post a trip report. I told them "its going to be boring" and they responded with "we don't Care". Okay, okay. Challenge presented. Challenge met.
To start here is a pre-trip report. Some basic deets:
- Arriving: the week of October 16 for a two week stay
- Airline: Delta. We are very pleased that Delta now has several options in getting to the island. My wife and I travel very frequently for work and have racked up countless miles, so it is great to t0 use those miles for us and a relative to come the island, on one airline. (Last time we flew first class to PR then took LIAT for the last leg. Bad choice. 'Nuf said). Also, because we travel often, we both have Global Entry and the accompanying TSA-Pre. Both are great, I would recommend if you travel often take the time for GE, or if anything TSA Pre.
- Accommodation: Simpson Bay Resort. Our last visit was two years ago and we were offered the opportunity to stay in one of the few renovated units. We were very impressed with the new digs and impressed with the flurry of *positive* construction around the resort. Looking forward to seeing the results. We have held a timeshare with SBR (FKA Pelican) since 2000. At first it was pretty sketchy and we bought in at a very low cost via Royal resorts so our expectations were not high. However we did purchase on the expectation that RR would deliver on the promise to improve the property. So we are pleased that all issues have been resolved and they have been moving forward for the past 3-4 years. Great improvement, and we expect to see more. Finally, although I would never recommend a timeshare to anyone, we really enjoy their conversion to a "points" system that allows us much more flexibility.
- Car Rental: Kenny's. Lesley is great. 'Nuf said. Actually to elaborate... When we flew in last visit, and LIAT delivered us to the island 36 hours late. At 11:00pm at night. Lesley was able to find me, eventually, on the island and pick me up personally to work out the rental. Very happy with his service and advice.
Pre trip prep: - New camera. I have always been nervous about bringing our primary camera on the beach. SO this trip I scoured the interweb and found a great used/reconditioned waterproof digital camera (nikon Coolpix). Have had it for 3 weeks and just love the darn thing. Totally waterproof & idiot proof. Has multiple PHD modes (push here dummy) and great advanced features. - Shared notes. My wife and I use Microsoft One Note for everything. Work and personal. Its great when you have it on your PC, tablet or Smartphone. We can easily jot down last minute thoughts and ideas and add it to our pre-trip todo. (IE Pack coffee). - Arrival grocery list. We have learned over the years to create a list in advance to what you need immediately upon arrival, (Beer, Bread, Butter what have you). If you know what you need well in advance of heading to the grocery you won't spend money or be distracted by things that drive up your bill ("ooh honey look!!! Windmill cookies !!!) . Looking forward to checking out the new Carrefour on the island. If its anything like a full service CF , we will be very happy. - Football. Must watch my Packers. Does anyone know if Simpson Bay Resort gets the NFL network on the satellite service?
- That's it for now. Must get back to work….
-------------------- Do what you can/ With what you have. Where you are. - T. Roosevelt