Traveltalkonline.com Forums

Travel and Vacation Forums >> St. Maarten - St. Martin

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | >> (show all)
SXMWendell
Traveler

Re: Hurricane WATCH issued for St. Maarten/St. Martin [Re: moxie]
      #1742491 - 09/03/17 08:51 PM (97.86.200.99)

What is interesting is, if you want to see a dynamic minute to minute of where the storm is. Watch the marinetraffic.com site and see where the ships aren't. There is a void of ships where the hurricane is.

Wendell

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DavidinChelseaMA
Traveler

Re: Hurricane WATCH issued for St. Maarten/St. Martin [Re: moxie]
      #1742493 - 09/03/17 09:22 PM (24.34.189.240)

Island 92 just stated that on Wednesday morning, "in the wee hours until the afternoon" the storm will be heading west, just to the north of SXM, at approx 78 miles away. The reason that number - 78 - is important, is that the hurricane force winds extend approximately 35 miles out from the center, so 78 miles is too far away, by a little more than double, for the storm to actually impact with hurricane force wind. Granted, storms wobble, and everybody still needs to be PREPARED, but this is certainly a very reasonable glimmer of hope that the island may only experience tropical force wind. This being said, there is still a HURRICANE WATCH in effect, so, to repeat: be prepared and stay safe.

Rasputin
Traveler

Loc: here and there ...
Re: Hurricane WATCH issued for St. Maarten/St. Martin [Re: SXMWendell]
      #1742498 - 09/03/17 09:43 PM (67.85.162.112)

Quote:

SXMWendell said:
Being through a hurricane on island. Get off at all costs BEFORE it arrives. Don't make excuses of not leaving. Because after the hurricane/ storm your vacation is finished anyhow. If that is not possible, fill the car with gas, buy non perishable food to eat,buy a lot of bottled water, buy a multi band radio to listen to weather updates so you have an idea of whats going on, buy a couple of flashlights AND buy a lot of batteries to power them.

Even after the hurricane goes through you will not get on the next flight out. The airlines will put the persons from the canceled flights on empty seats available on the post flights leaving the island. And since most flights are full now days this could take a while to get off the island.

I was lucky enough to have a closet with concrete walls in the middle of the villa I was at to ride through the hurricane.

video here

Wendell

My unsolicited advice, to agree with but add to Wendell's post:

If power goes out, credit cards may not work, if you don't have cash, go to an ATM and get some now.

If power goes off for an extended period of time, then there will be no water pressure, which means no water! As Wendell said, buy bottled water now; but also, if you have a bathtub where you are staying, fill it with tap water now... you can use that water to put a bucket full in the toilet so it flushes! Without water, toilets do not flush, that can be a problem after a major storm.

Wendell mentions non perishable food. OK maybe a loaf of bread that will get mold after a few days.....
Don't forget peanut butter and crackers... you would be amazed how long you can live off of that. Maybe add some bananas and nuts....
you have to think no electricity which means no refrigeration. If you have a gas or charcoal grill, freeze some hamburgers or hot dogs to use later.

And as Wendell mentioned: flashlights and batteries.

That's my 2 cents worth, for all on island, be safe.

--------------------
Rah Rah Rasputin
They put some poison into his wine
He drank it all and said "I feel fine"

pat
Traveler

Loc: Brookfield, CT.
Re: Hurricane WATCH issued for St. Maarten/St. Martin [Re: Rasputin]
      #1742499 - 09/03/17 09:47 PM (75.133.113.202)

The tent camper in me says great suggestions, Raspy, and particularly regarding the cash vs CC's vs ATMs. During hurricane Hugo many of the banks in SC were closed for weeks and cash was truly king to those who had the foresight to stock up on it.

--------------------
Respectfully,

pat

"Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat
them."

SXMWendell
Traveler

Re: Hurricane WATCH issued for St. Maarten/St. Martin [Re: Rasputin]
      #1742500 - 09/03/17 10:03 PM (97.86.200.99)

Ironically with Bertha. The phone system worked. The owner of the villa tried to get on island. Made it to Florida but couldn't get any farther. So I kept him apprised of the state of the villa. As I had much time on my hands I did alot of cleaning up ( got me a free week stay next trip) Also in his utility room he had a fridge full of Heineken. I save them from getting hot. Breakfast, lunch, dinner of champions ( so they say).

Also even if the airport has generators that doesn't mean that the reservations systems will be working.

Wendell

PelicanPirate
Traveler

Re: Hurricane WATCH issued for St. Maarten/St. Martin [Re: sxmmartini]
      #1742504 - 09/03/17 10:43 PM (98.29.235.208)

I'm no meterologist but if you draw a straight line between Cape Verde off Africa to SXM, the hurricane is right on that straight line and has been since yesterday.

Prepare for high winds and heavy seas and be safe everyone.

--------------------
Just the other night I was sleeping under a bridge and now here I am on the grandest ship in the world having champagne with you fine people.
Jack Dawson - Movie Titanic

RICKnGRACE_LI_NY
Traveler

Loc: Long Island, NY
Re: Hurricane WATCH issued for St. Maarten/St. Martin [Re: PelicanPirate]
      #1742510 - 09/04/17 07:01 AM (67.86.221.25)

This morning Storm Carib closest point tool has Irma 23 miles. That is way too close for comfort. My guess is if you haven't gotten out by now, you're probably not going to be able to.

There's a lot of good advice given above. Pay attention to it and please stay safe. Prayers are with you all, both Islanders and Vacationers.

--------------------
Rick and Grace

Jim_Laraine
Traveler

Loc: Kent Island Maryland
Re: Hurricane WATCH issued for St. Maarten/St. Martin [Re: RICKnGRACE_LI_NY]
      #1742511 - 09/04/17 07:38 AM (137.103.86.8)

At least if Irma passes on the NE side of the island, the forward motion of the storm will subtract from the counterclockwise wind rotation (for northern hemisphere). Might not help much but definitely do not want a pass on the SW side which would increase effective wind speed.

http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/tcfaq/D6.html

Edited by Jim_Laraine (09/04/17 07:40 AM)

mahokid
Traveler

Re: Hurricane WATCH issued for St. Maarten/St. Martin [Re: RICKnGRACE_LI_NY]
      #1742513 - 09/04/17 07:45 AM (200.7.37.187)

Too late to get out now, much easier decision when you're not here on vacation. Super U was crazy busy on Saturday with people buying provisions. Besides our own well being,
realized what all our island friends have to lose.
Have about five days of food and hope that the sea generator functions. Got a good book to read and that paperwork that never seems to get done.
Grand Case was deserted late night. Concerned for all the restaurant owners, It would be devastating to have damage to your restaurant especially the Orient beach bars that have been through all the hoopla just to get back up and running.

Prayers to all on the island.

Carol_HillAdministrator
Administrator

Loc: Central Florida!
Re: Hurricane WATCH issued for St. Maarten/St. Martin [Re: mahokid]
      #1742516 - 09/04/17 08:05 AM (107.77.253.3)

Take care, stay safe! Please let us know how you are, if you can.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | >> (show all)

Extra information
5 registered and 66 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      TTOLCode is enabled

Topic views: 9987

Jump to

Contact Us Terms of Use Advertising on TTOL Traveltalkonline