Traveltalkonline.com Forums

Travel and Vacation Forums >> British Virgin Islands

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
d_fish
Traveler

Loc: Tustin CA
Any word on Voyage in Sopers Hole
      #1747429 - 09/24/17 03:04 PM (68.231.214.87)

Any word on Voyage Charters? They posted a vague message on their website a few weeks ago.

We have a charter booked spring of next year and were bringing a boat load of first timers to the BVIs. Speaking with them last night, they do not want to go and wish to cancel the trip. In all honesty I do not blame them as it is an expensive vacation and I also believe recovery will take quite some time, far longer than 6 months.

I told them that given the circumstances we need to give Voyage a few more weeks to assess their fleet and damage etc before we cancel the trip. IF we cancel there is a 20% cancelation fee which is rather steep. If Voyage cancels the trip then I am assuming they will refund our deposit. With that said, they are a small charter company, who even knows if they can survive this event.

My husband and I have been traveling to the BVIs since 2008 and feel the need to help boost the economy when it is time for visitors to return. We will do so, albeit but on a smaller vessel and most likely alone. We will wait a few years to bring newbies.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
warren460
Traveler

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: Any word on Voyage in Sopers Hole [Re: d_fish]
      #1747434 - 09/24/17 06:37 PM (99.228.220.74)

I expect that reasonable infrastructure for a sailing vacation will be back sooner than 3 months. It won't be like last year, and more like the bvi of 20 years.

I also expect that voyage will be up before your charter date and will not cancel your trip

--------------------
Warren
S/V Scuba Doo
Lagoon 450

sailbynight
Traveler

Loc: Med/ Caribbean
Re: Any word on Voyage in Sopers Hole [Re: warren460]
      #1747441 - 09/24/17 08:31 PM (72.48.44.170)

The amount of wrecked building material, now, mixed with household garbage, on the streets will take months to remove. Our beautiful islands won't be clean for a long time.
Also, anchorages, mooring fields, marinas and channels need to be inspected and cleared of wreckage and new, sunken wrecks raised or moved to deeper water. Navigation is going to be tricky

Deepcut
Traveler

Loc: Georgia & South Carolina
Re: Any word on Voyage in Sopers Hole [Re: sailbynight]
      #1747444 - 09/24/17 09:04 PM (96.32.194.30)

SailByNight:
I would expect all the "mooring fields" were empty, especially where charter boats frequently go. Also "redline" areas for any recent wrecks which may impact a 4-5 ft draft vessel.

Prior to Irma, there was SO much belly aching about mooring fields being too crowded , and how great it was years ago when you could anchor with very few boats around.... This will be the time to experience that (probably for only a short time) as I expect the mooring fields will be redeveloped as the charter fleet returns.

I do agree the land based infrastructure will be most noticeable, as I remember the images of Hugo (in Charleston SC) persisting for quite some time after it hit.

I expect Voyage Charters will be up and running, at least on a limited basis, my early 2018.

--------------------
Wes
s/v Sea Tiger (Lagoon 42)

MrEZgoin
Traveler

Loc: Redmond, WA
Re: Any word on Voyage in Sopers Hole [Re: Deepcut]
      #1747446 - 09/24/17 09:46 PM (71.197.225.171)

Check before you assume that Voyage will refund a charter deposit due to a hurricane event.

We had a booking with Conch, and their terms explicitly state no refund for trips cancelled or curtailed due to a storm.

dayhiker
Traveler

Re: Any word on Voyage in Sopers Hole [Re: MrEZgoin]
      #1747462 - 09/25/17 07:53 AM (69.29.52.178)

We have two boats booked in early June with Voyage. I figure there's about a 70/30 chance the trip happens. We've just decided to be very patient. There's no rush. In another month or so, they'll have a better idea of what their future holds. Until that time, I'm not worrying about it.

Winterstale
Traveler

Loc: Bradenton, FL
Re: Any word on Voyage in Sopers Hole [Re: dayhiker]
      #1747465 - 09/25/17 08:09 AM (173.168.122.207)

We have a charter booked with BVI Yacht Charters in June and we will be there!!

I am sure all of our favorite spots will have something up and running and the water we love so much will be just as blue...and the people we love so much will still be there...

--------------------

Bridget

SAIL_BVI
Traveler

Loc: Wisconsin USA
Re: Any word on Voyage in Sopers Hole [Re: Winterstale]
      #1747468 - 09/25/17 08:54 AM (99.72.240.82)

I am planning to be there in June. I will help with the cleanup in any way I can.

wmangum
Traveler

Loc: Cow Wreck Beach
      #1747469 - 09/25/17 08:58 AM (99.35.180.124)

I am confident that a lot if not most anchorages will have something going by spring/summer of 2018.

Availability of boats will likely be the main issue affecting charters next year.

If your charter is not cancelled by the charter company, then, please - by all means - go on your charter. The BVI people need your support. They need to make a living.

I think that you will find whatever anchorage businesses that are open to be far more friendly than normal.

--------------------
Walker Mangum
Anegada and Houston

ScurvyD
Traveler

Loc: Okla
      #1747470 - 09/25/17 09:03 AM (162.232.166.54)

We will be there as well. My biggest question is will Riteway and all the provisioning outlets be running and able to deliver goods that we need on island.
BVI Mariner will hopefully have some good updates on anchorages and other information as well.

--------------------
I'd like to be a jelly fish, cause jelly fish don't pay rent.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
10 registered and 55 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      TTOLCode is enabled

Topic views: 5425

Jump to

Contact Us Terms of Use Advertising on TTOL Traveltalkonline
A Public Service of TTOL