TravelHat as got you pointed in the right direction!

The French use geography not grape type to label their wines, if Chardonnay is what you want, the French would say White Burgundy. Almost always White Burgundy is 100% Chardonnay. Some of the lesser offerings will add the grape Aligoté. In fact, you can find bottlings that are primarily Aligoté and are labeled as such which will save you $s and can be very rewarding.

When in SXM I would definitely go French. White Burgundy can be very expensive in the US, and very few wines that are less than $20 bucks a bottle represent Burgundy well (Maybe None). So while you are in French region, I would go French, because the cost can be significantly less than what you find here.

The Burgundy region runs north and south, with Chablis in the far north down to Macon in the South. The wines from Burgundy evolve from the north to the south. In the north the wines are normally dry, crisp and have wonderful minerality. As you move South they tend to get lush and take on viscosity and even some tropical flavors rarely found in Chardonnay. When you reach the south (Macon) one finds wonderful drinking wines that are usually the most affordable from the Burgundy region, but sometimes lack the grandeur of their northern brothers. The very high end wines from the Côte de Beaune will use oak, but most of the regions of White Burgundy do not. They rely on the freshness of the taste and the minerality. Honestly in wine circles White Burgundy is pretty much accepted as the queen of wine, while the red Bordeaux wines sit on the King’s throne.

You will find other Chardonnays from France on the shelf. Normally from the Languedoc region where the French wine laws are not as rigid and the product is usually for export.

I can tell you that I was lucky enough to enjoy a Corton-Charlemagne, which as sub region of Côte de Beaune, that is probably the best white wine I have ever had. I had no idea what it cost when I had it, and after I found out I just wished I made enough money to make it our house wine.

The one hint I will give you when buying wines in SXM. I would not buy a white vintage older than 2012 and definitely feel the top of the bottle. If you can feel the cork above the lip it usually means it has been under some heat and/or a second fermentation may be occurring.

Enjoy your trip and drink French.

“Every time I open a bottle of wine, it is an amazing trip somewhere!†José Andrés