StormJib said:
Sure you can take the ferry. Many, many, thousands do each year. If you involve the ferry in your trip? Air, taxi, ferry, taxi..... will consume a day of your time each way. In some cases more than a day of your time each way. Some love the adventure of the ferry. Others loathe anything to do with STT on the weekends or any busy day. If losing a day and hassle on the start and end of your trip is good for you? Then go with the ferry and taxi dance combos. We no longer use the ferry for anyone we are sailing with. The ferry just adds to much doubt, worry, frustration for the rest of the group traveling with us. For us we either pick up or meet the boat on St. Thomas or charter from SJU to get and comers and goers to Beef Island.

Another way to look at this. We will not give any of our crews money or credit cards to the ferry operators.

Done it both ways. I'll take the ferry over the time in the SJU airport and puddle jumper any day. I don't understand the "doubt, worry and frustration" you associate with the ferries. The ability to fly into STT vs. SJU is a big deal as I'm not fond of the mess that the SJU airport can be, particularly when you hit it with cruise ship passengers. And any time on the water...even on a ferry...beats time in an airport.