I have been to Sxm over 20 times but decided a couple years ago to go to Barbados for my honeymoon. Hubby and I are mid 40's and are very fortunate to be able to travel 2-3 times a year. Barbados is lovely, but St Maarten is still our favourite. There wasn't the local beaches like Sxm and it was very busy. If you think traffic is bad in Sxm, Barbados is just as bad. It is definitely more expensive to rent a car there and they are way more industrialized than Sxm. They actually have some large highways and driving on the left side was interesting also. Rentals are more expensive and groceries also. I know a lot of people who bring groceries like meat into Sxm with no problems. In Barbados you must apply for a meat permit weeks ahead. We try to eat fairly healthy and really saw a difference in prices in groceries in Barbados. Lots of English imports in the grocery stores, but you can't compare the grocery imports from Europe in Sxm to them. Sxm has cheaper restaurants also. Also no La sucriere in Barbados so that is definite plus for Sxm! Don't get me wrong, I would go back to Barbados in heartbeat, but it doesn't have the feel of Sxm.