With all due respect, you're preaching to the choir, John. For the first 18 to 20 years we visited St. Maarten, a vacation there was a heavenly experience without a thought or an iota of fear but in all honesty, that feature of the island has been slowly diminishing for years to the point of what we have today. There was once a time when it really was "The Friendly Island" but IMHO, those days are sadly done.

If you're planning on visiting you need to do so with both eyes open and a solid awareness that bad things can and often do happen to good people there these days. And that isn't limited to just St. Maarten either.

We have been visiting the island every year at the very least once a year for the last 43 years and we've seen the changes and today we visit with a far different approach than we did in '73 in that we do look over our shoulder; we don't wear jewelry or carry purses or lots of cash; we don't linger in lonely and out of the way places and we are constantly aware of where we are and what's going on around us. And these measures are still no absolute assurance that bad things won't happen.

That said, we do still have a wonderful time each trip enjoying the beautiful beaches, the incredible foods and so many of the warm and friendly islanders we've known for years and we still manage to enjoy ourselves each and every trip.

We know there is an upswing in crime and we recognize the island police department is virtually useless in an immediate emergency. I wish things would get better, but sadly, until they change the laws in many areas, particularly in allowing guns in the hands of those who should legitimately have them - starting with police and guards - and levy stricter fines and serious punishments for those caught and tried and found guilty for committing all kinds of crimes, and lastly, people start parenting their kids responsibly, I don't think we're going to see things get better.

Okay, my soapbox is stowed away for another day!

Respectfully,

pat

"Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat
them."