To clarify a bit - my number one thought is that while I've never been on a motorcycle in my life, and in fact, I'm absolutely terrified of them, I have many friends who love their Sunday motorcycle rides and live for the joy of exploring on their bikes. They pay a fortune for their "Hawgs" and all their accompanying gear and they would never act the way some of the suicyclists on the island do.

My next thought is to clarify my own fears of motorcycles - as a child of about ten or less years old, I witnessed a horrendous accident in NYS between two young people and one of the old-fashioned open soda/beer delivery trucks. The driver of the truck walked away while the two young people (who, btw, were 100% in the right) didn't live to talk about it. It left a very lasting impression and a total fear of cycles to this day. I have the utmost respect for bikers on the highway and give them wide berth because I've seen, up close and personally, how little protection they have.

And Carol, I assumed there was a bicycle cruise because we got caught up in what appeared to be a road race through the French lowlands one year and when we asked our server about it at dinner that night, we were told they were off a cruise ship. There were probably about 75 to a hundred cyclists and it made sense that, had they been from the Island in that number, it would have been publicized on the Island and we might have heard about it. Beyond that, I honestly don't know if it was a cruise group or not but was just going on what we were told.

Respectfully,

pat

"Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat
them."