I have many scars from removal of both basal and squamous cell cancers. Have had MOHS surgery three times over the past 15 years. This surgery is done for cancers above the neck and usually by a doctor with plastic surgery skills. Have had the top of one ear removed, a portion of my left jaw and the center of my forehead worked on in the past. The doctor removes a sampling of skin cells, immediately checks it for cancer cells as you wait, and either stitches you or removes more. Continues until it is clear of cancer. I am told to bring lunch with me in case it takes several hours. I always use 30SPF, but my doc told me the majority of the damage took place in my youth. I even bought the lotion they sold at the doctors office and when my next visit yielded more cancer spots, my doctor said, "I guess it doesn't work." My mom used baby oil on my skin, not realizing that it intensified the suns rays on my skin. I just had some squamous cancer removed from my shoulder and am sporting 8 stitches. Hope it heals before we travel soon to SXM. I sit under the umbrella, wear a hat, etc. but I should have done that 60 years ago!