I have spoken with both Michael and Joseph because I have a reservation for our June arrival and wanted to make sure the whole thing is OK.

If you talk to Michael, Joseph is not being fair. If you talk to Joseph, Michael is being greedy and trying to take business that isn't his. So I asked my husband's best friend, who is a native islander and there right now, to find out what is known amongst the local community.

The truth is Joseph is the one who started the company - in 1987 on the French side. When he expanded in 2001 to the Dutch side, he offered Michael some ownership in the company.

Joseph is the original owner and the one who made Michael "the face" of Unity Car Rental.

Obviously they are having disagreements now and yes, the situation is going to court. From what we've been told, they will probably divide the assets in some way and turn into two companies, though they both are working from the same location as always right now. (That actually made me laugh because it sounds so islandish.)

As of now, it honestly sounds like Joseph will end up with the Unity Car Rental trade name, but of course in SXM and in those courts anything can happen.

Currently, no matter which of them "owns" your reservation, it's the same system with the same shuttle pick-up and the same signing of paperwork under the tree and they both are there. As I was on the phone with Joseph today, they were sharing a pizza, and Michael said hello. Again, very island-like.

We feel comfortable continuing to do business with either of them as we believe they know only harm can come from not continuing to provide good customer service. As I told them both, my bottom line is when I step off that plane, I need to know I'm going to have car.