Of cource this is about making money... However, in my way of thinking!!! Yes if someone is driving drunk they should pay a penalty, but to stop people for the sake of money is only more reason to avoid the French side of Island. They have lost tourists due to crime, and of cource lots will not venture there in eve hours. Have to say!!! they do not care about the loss. My husband was stopped randomly going on the French side and because he did not have his passport, was taken to the French jail... thank god our rental agency went into our villa and brought his passport. he was let go, but had to walk back to his car where they picked him up. Long walk yup... Not happy, bad for tourisim? you bet. We no longer go on French side, and do not miss it... Everything we need and love is on the dutch side. Sad but true... When police abuse there authority they will be the loosers.. My opinion... More to do on dutch side anyway. And most good resturants moved to dutch side as they were not making it. If they cared they would try and play fair....