We (6 adults, 2 children 3yr & 5 yrs) may be heading to Grand Cayman in Jan 2012 for 1 week. The parents of the 2 children just returned from a stay on 7 Mile, and are encouraging us to join them next year.

The 6 adults have been to USVI & BVI several times, and have bareboated there several times. Some of us have been exposed to the Playa del Carmen area at AI resort. This is the 1st time 4 of the adults have been to Grand Cayman.

The parents of the 2 children are starting to look for a 3-4 bedroom unit with kitchen near Rum Point and Kaibo Beach. Because of children preference is for a sandy beach front location, not a rock front beach. We acknowledge that we will need to rent a car. We will be provisioning the kitchen so most meals can be eaten at unit.

I prefer relaxing, snorkeling with the fish, and hiking.

I've already found the TTOL web person that has the summary of snorkeling information which will quite useful.

I'm looking to buying a map and travel book on-line. Frommers appears to be the only thorough book. Any recommendations? Not sure about which map to buy?

A few beginning questions:
1. does the bus service go all the way around to the north end of island at Rum Point, and if so how regularly does it go back and forth?
2. i'd like to go to stringray city, but just how crowded does it get, as I've seen some awfully crowded videos on youtube.
3. we are used to the abundance of fish in the BVI, is GC on par?
4. i know the exchange rate puts a 20% premium on food and booze and dining costs, but it appears prices are considerably higher than in the VI; what is the explanation?
5. if we are staying away from the crowds of 7 mile and George town (yes well be going there, but not staying there), are there less expensive places to eat and drink than what I've heard are $10-20 drink prices & $30-50 meal prices? Surely, the locals can't pay such touristy prices!

I'll keep reviewing TTOL for other info, but thought I'd start off with a few things that I'm already wondering about. I know Jan 2012 will be here all to soon. We hope that by planning now, we can take get some better flight and lodging prices.

Thanks for any assistance.

BobA
Long Time TTOL member.