I was shared this letter so I may share with others. This person does know what they are talking about, And I do believe in what they say....

Dear all,
I have received many inquiries about commercial flights into Princess Juliana Int'l Airport in particular from people - residents and visitors - off island eager to come back to St. Maarten. I understand your frustration.
In the same token, I ask you to take a moment and try to comprehend the situation on the island. Even for those of us who lived through Irma the damage still makes us draw breath when a once familiar spot is seen post-Irma.
Back to the airport, once and for all - it is closed to commerical flights - scheduled or chartered. Only flights into the Dutch side are military and humanitarian ones.
Why is this? The airport terminal is severely damaged. Work to repair it is on the way. The fence of the airport was blown down and ripped up by Irma. It is on its way back up. I know you are a very savvy flier and you are there thinking - who cares about a building and the fence, just land the planes, we get off and go about our business. Fence needed for YOUR safety when landing. A building is need for security and immigration purposes (and to protect your pretty lugguage from things like the rain).
To the flights: I'm no engineer, but common sense tells me for a safe operational airport you need a functioning air traffic control tower. Irma damaged ours. Work to repair and parts are on the way.
Night flights are not yet possible. There are no lights on the runway. But why, you ask, when GEBE "come back" in so many places? Answer: a cat. 5 plus hurricane took a short stop here on Sept. 6. She took the lights, fixtures too! I maybe wrong, but ACE and Kooyman don't sell those lights.
But is what she talkin' 'bout that they ain't have night flights? My auntie cousin sister bestfriend child father brother-in-law grandmother see flights coming in at night!
Well, the Royal Dutch Marines are guiding planes in. Those planes don't required all the special insurances and precautions required by aviation regulation to protect precious cargo - you!!!
For the umpteenth time since Irma, Princess Juliana Int'l Airport is closed until further notice to commercial flights. In our time of great challenge, St. Maarten is living up to her moniker - the Friendly Island - by considering your comfort and safety - from runway to doorway.
So, sit back, relax, enjoy your roof, warm shower, go wonder a large grocery store, go to a spa. We are temporarily closed while we work on our appearance.
In the interim, Grand Case Airport is open. Flights connect out of Martinique and Guadeloupe. Oh, you need a visa? I need a roof. Don't we all need something in life.