deputydog1157 said:
The police, whether here in the USA or in SXM have priorities in emergency situations such as this. A cop's first goal is to protect life. The problem is that there are only so many cops to go around and the main thing is to get to the injured and assist them. The pieces of excrement that are not injured know that they will be able to outnumber the cops so they go on their shoplifting spree. Unfortunately the looting makes the news because the media is sensationalist and what sells papers/stories better than seeing a group of dirtbags walking down the street carrying a 60 inch TV or a dozen pair of Air Jordan sneakers after smashing in the front window. The problem for the cops is that it appears that they don't care about lawlessness when in fact they despise these people. The cops are tied up searching the carnage trying to find survivors and protect people from environmental dangers. If a cop is on his way to assist victims of a disaster and sees looters he would probably yell at the criminals but still continue on to see if there is a person needing medical assistance etc. I know this first hand because I am a retired law enforcement officer with 25 years under my belt.

Good answer.

Working hard to be the best yacht bum I can be.