I am also a business owner and my business happens to be an insurance agency that specializes in the hospitality sector. That being said, I do a lot of work in tourist areas that are usually exposed to hurricanes. In these areas the cost of insurance can be very high - usually about 5% of total annual revenues but I've seen it as high as 10% or more. Even worse, if the damage is due to a named storm then a special deductible applies, typically 5% of the total insured value. So if a building was insured for $1,000,000 the deductible would be $50,000 - thats pretty high, so between the high premium and high deductible I can see where some businesses choose to go without insurance. However, businesses should at least purchase liability insurance and business income insurance. Business income insurance pays for lost profits and ongoing expenses - including payroll, in the event of a covered loss. If businesses had this insurance then their employees wouldn't need go fund me campaigns because they would still be getting their paycheck at the insurance company's expense. Unfortunately most businesses don't even realize this coverage exists.