deputydog1157 said:
Just saw on Below Deck that a 3 day charter tip was $21,000. I can just imagine the cost of the charter! I have mixed emotions when I watch this season because it reminds me of what I saw there on previous cruise stops and the current photos. But yes the private charter/yachting community brings in many dollars and along with the money, jobs. It is a real shame that such a buffoon is in charge of such a beautiful place.

I hope you understand that this show, and most others, are pretty far from reality. Those guest aren't paying a typical fee to be followed all week, and have to reshoot every interaction. That being said, the $21k tip for a charter boat is normal. 10-20% of charter fee. A 150' charter boat would charter for anywhere from 150-200 k ++ for the week. Several boats that visit cost closer to $500k
per week for charter.

The yacht crew spend plenty of their money on Front St., Jimbo's, Karakter, and the beach clubs of the island.

Now, the real crime here is that a charter boat will spend a minimum of $25k per week for crew and guest food and provisioning. An average boat stays busy 6-8 weeks a season. There are 100+ boats that make St. Maarten their winter home.
Do the math just on that.

Add to that the businesses that keep those boats in supplies, the little guys that polish and clean, and all of the other services.

These guests rarely spend any time on St. Maarten, other than boarding and disembarking. But the money flows and flows strong.

I really feel sorry for Michael, the boat cleaner; for Junior, the laundry pickup guy, for the florists, my Carrefour checkout lady, the bagger that I tip, et al.

St Kitts has no facilities other than a brand new yacht harbor, but they are going to get some boats this winter.