First off if you are able to find affordable flights and can find suitable lodging I would not hesitate to come on down, we have had a great time so far but more importantly we have been thanked so often that it is obvious that we are indeed welcome.

American air from MIA last Sunday was full, fair number of locals returning and students ot the Medical School, short walk from plane to arrival tent which is quick and off to pick up rental car from Empress. Waiting for us at La Vista Beach where we stay for three weeks. The Beach part of the resort looks great, rooms have some new appliances and furnishings and smelled of fresh paint. Even the the thatched umbrellas have been repaired as of yesterday and Hideaway officially opens Tuesday for breakfast and lunch.

We toured the island a bit, nothing we did not expect as there have been more than enough pictures of the devastation and in some areas it is heartbreaking. Other areas however have either not had too much damage or have rebuilt quickly. Pelican and Simpson Bay Area probably are the best areas at the present time, lots of restaurants, grocery and entertainment options. Breakfast at the Yaght Club and supper at Palms, just Greg and Jo at Palms doing it all.

Other restaurants were IZI, Sale e Pepe, Toppers Pineapple Pete and tonight was Avantika, all were great. We also enjoyed a few breakfasts at Gigi's after our morning walk of the causeway.

Used to avoid Phillipsburg when cruise ships in but now it's better since stores are sure to be open and there is a pretty good vibe there. They have really done a good job turning the beach area into what you used to see at Orient, bars on the beach, lots of chairs and umbrellas. Holland house for example was offering two chairs one umbrella and four drinks for $20.

Trafic is very light most of the time but there is a lot of construction going on, have to say we are very impressed with the pace, not like the old days where " island time" meant you would measure projects in years, these guys are getting it done. That said though there is still a lot to do.

Need to bring a flashlight if walking after dark many street lights still out, wearing sandals at night also not a good idea as I stepped on a broken beer bottle ( no flashlight yet) and cut my foot.

Having a fabulous time so far will keep you posted.