Amy and I have been here for the past 10 days and we completely disagree with these statements. "Couldn't wait to get off the island"!!?? Crap! I'm dreading leaving the island this Saturday. As we drive around, it is discouraging to see so much destruction, and we have realized that it will be years before St. Martin resembles what we remember. But, when we talk to the locals and they tell us about their experiences, we share with them how we thought about not coming, and then determined that we would so that we could spend money and share in their recovery in a very small way. Without exception, they sincerely thank us, some with tears.
For us, St. Martin is about the beaches, the food, and spending time together away from the kids. Well, the beaches we visit are better (so many fewer people) and the restaurants that we frequent that are open are still serving up the same amazing food. Plus, there is virtually NO traffic. I'm used to sitting in long lines of traffic here, but because the tourists have stayed away, the roads are clear and finding a parking place is pretty easy.
For those thinking of staying away out of fear, I say, get past that quick and come and enjoy.
Enjoying time with my beautiful wife in paradise,
Jim