Aruba is fine but if you go expecting a St.Maarten-like experience, you will probably be a little disappointed, and apparently many Aruba fans who visit St. Maarten for the first time feel exactly the same way about SXM. But isn’t one of the joys of travel exploring and comparing the personalities of different places?

We only made the one visit to Aruba as opposed to probably close to ninty visits (+ or -) to SXM, and what I have realized in talking to many others who have visited both places was that most of those I spoke with seemed to really love one and not care all that much for the other. Didn’t matter which but for the most part that seemed the way the sentiments ran for many.

It’s been over twenty years since we were there and I’m sure things may have changed but I recall:

Being impressed by the fact Aruba seemed to be much cleaner and neater than St. Maarten and not as heavily populated. The dining ops were good but just not quite as good as SXM. I enjoyed exploring in our rental jeep but missed the variety of scenery and landscapes that SXM offers. I realized I’m more inclined to enjoy a lush landscape over a desert-like atmosphere. I loved the gentle breezes that were constantly blowing on Aruba and the waters while we were there seemed consistently calmer than what we typically experience on most of the SXM beaches where we tend to hang. And I really enjoyed being able to walk out to the sidewalk and catch a comfortable scheduled bus to almost anywhere we wanted to go. And perhaps it was the time we were there but we didn’t find the more laid back beach atmosphere that we enjoy in SXM.

I don’t think you can go wrong with either place but just don’t go with the expectation that since they’re both Dutch they will be very similar to each other.

Respectfully,

pat

"Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat
them."