Grand Cayman is much more expensive than SXM for sure. I don't enjoy paying $45 for a case of beer...BUT the rest depends on where you stay . We stayed on the East end (Wyndham Reef Resort, one BR, full kitchen, ocean front, balcony) which most would consider way out there but it was quiet, had a gazillion, reasonably separated beach lounges with umbrellas, nice beach to walk and the most tropical fish I have ever seen in one place. Nightly feeding of the Frigate birds was also interesting. Short drive to an area where you can watch huge sea turtles swimming near shore.

Definitely need a car but that gets you to VISIT Seven Mile Beach which I found to be another great beach to walk.(think Aruba)...and visit Rum Point which is the most like a SXM comfy toes-in-the-sand place the have drinks and food. There are also quite a few roadside local stands selling some great, reasonable priced food. Great roads and friendly people.

It's hard to dislike a whole Island because of your choice of accommodations. If I had stayed in the Comfort Suites I might also be jaded.

Definitely not SXM....but a different place to go with different reasons to go .and...at a TS exchange rate of $189 for a week makes it a no-brainer. Going back in May