Hi, Ski2play and welcome to this forum.

Though they may sound silly the following are a couple of things that might be helpful:

As a first timer I’d arrange for a rental car to be delivered to you ASAP after your arrival at your accommodations. It’s not always easy to find places your first time out.
Leave nothing of any value in your car anywhere, not even locked in the glovebox or the boot.
You don’t need a special license and the driving is as in the USA as opposed to so many of the British backed islands.
You don’t need to carry your passport to go from Dutch to French sides but a copy in your wallet isn’t a bad idea.
US dollars readily accepted on both sides of the island.
Take note of the bridge opening times and avoid them like the plague. Traffic can really back up.
Food is great across the island but as an island newbie I’d avoid the out of the way places.
If you see a spot that says no parking - take it seriously as they love to tow cars.
And while all the beaches are lovely my favorites are Mullet, Friars Bay although it can be tricky to find and Simpson Bay Beach. If you pass the Sunset Beach bar and stay in the road by the runway you’ll hit ElZafiro where they offer free chairs with meal or drink purchases. Also on Simpson Bay Beach, but in the other end if it, is Marys Boon which has the same chair arrangement but it’s a little trickier to get to.

Enjoy yourself - we’ll be heading back this fall for our 44th or 45th annual SXM vacation and we haven’t tired of it yet.

Last edited by pat; 04/20/2018 02:00 PM.

Respectfully,

pat

"Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat
them."