We have been here for nine days. A few things I have noticed include:
1) The island is very dependent on cruise ship passengers right now. When no cruise ships are in port, there are very few visitors here comparatively speaking. I realize this will improve once more accommodations are available
2) Because many of the old restaurants are still closed or washed away, the ones that are open for business are doing fairly well. We have eaten at Greenhouse, Sale and Pepe, Pineapple Pete's, Driftwood Boat Bar, Mario Bistro and El Zafiro and with the exception of El Zafiro, all have been quite busy which is good to see.
3) Grocery stores are very busy. Went to Super U in Marigot and could hardly find a parking spot. Busiest I have EVER seen it.
4) Local folks seem to be more appreciative of visitors. I know it's the friendly island but in recent years it had lost some of its luster. I hope it stays this way.
5) We are staying at El Zafiro and it is a nice property. People here are extremely nice and we have made many new friends. But, Simpson Bay Beach is much rougher and more windy than I expected. It doesn't bother me but the wife is not a fan. We have gone to Mullet several times as a result.
6) We have never felt unsafe although we haven't ventured out as much. The island has more of the vibe we experienced when we first came in 1995.
7) We saw Bill and Elaine at Hole In The Wall last Friday night but did not speak as we didn't want to interrupt them. They have no idea who we are but if I told them where we were sitting they would possibly remember us. I will say, they were behaving themselves toast

Will post more when I have the time. Cheers!