Hope you can help! We are 90% committed on a fairly last minute trip to Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks, should happen sometime in July. We truly understand this is THE MOST crazy crowded time to travel there, but it is what it is. We will be hiking a lot, so maybe the selfie stick crowd will mostly stick to the main attractions and scenic overlooks....we can only hope.

We are very early risers so arriving at the MUST SEE attractions shortly after sunrise could help avoid some of the masses. Of course 99% of the lodging within the parks is booked, but we are finding available lodging all around the parks within a relatively short drive, some hotel/motel and several airbnb. Question is if we fly into Idaho Falls which towns would you stay at for say 2-3 nights at a pop?

I have found a couple available places just west of the west entrance to Yellowstone to spend probably 3 nights , seems like the right spot to access Old Faithful, Grand Prismatic Spring and some others. Like I said we would plan to hit these spots super early then find a nice long loop to hike each day, have any favorites?

Then we could move around to perhaps Gardiner Montana and visit Mammoth Hot Springs and the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone from there? Probably 2 nights there with more late morning/afternoon hiking.

Then travel through the parks, roughly 4-5 hour drive towards Jackson Hole to access all that the Grand Tetons have to offer. I think we'll have 3 nights in this area, but do we stay in Jackson Hole? or look outside a little? I actually found an available resort on one of the large lakes within the park, seems very minimal for maximum $$$, but the location and views! Also found a nice new motel in the center of Jackson that is walking distance to a brewery!.... Lots of hiking to happen in these mountains, long high hikes, Cascade Canyon and Alaska Basin trail if we have that much energy! I'd like to explore snake river and Signal Mt to see if I can produce black and whites similar to Ansel Adams....I said similar.

Anyways, lots to consider and if you have any tips or advice (other than don't go in July), I would appreciate it. Oh and I said 90% committed, because my wife and daughter are still talking about Glacier NP or perhaps head to the Redwoods!! Either way I'm looking forward to the last minute adventure!