Originally Posted by agrimsrud
Originally Posted by tangerine3
We are only looking for a two or three cabin one. Will only be me and my husband. Now I'm looking into what you need to qualify to captain it yourself.

Judging from many encounters with power cats over the last few years I would say the following list is a good starter on qualifications:

1. No qualifications other than been on a boat a couple of times and you know the pointy end is in front
2. No idea what the rules of the road are
3. Play your music really really loud in every anchorage. After all - if you enjoy the music then obviously everyone else does too
4. Party most of the night and be really loud (I presume to overcome the load music) and in the process take your clothes off and run around naked.
5. Drive the power cat as fast as possible and as close to other boats as possible. Drive like you've rented it!
6. If there are any rules they don't apply to you. Things like private mooring balls, 90 minutes time limit and no overnight usage of bvi park moorings, etc. do not apply to you. Rules are for the little people!

I have met power cat people that don't have this list of qualifications. But unfortunately not many.

In my experience this list applies equally to both power boaters and sailors. I own both and find the snarky blowboater and stink potter comments humorous.