Originally Posted by CaptainJay
Originally Posted by Steve27
Originally Posted by Orange_Burst
Even with electric heads we were told not to use TP. "If you haven't eaten it first, it doesn't go into the head"

Not sure why they would tell you this... This is a huge reason electric toilets were installed in place of manual hand pump toilets.
In all my years I have never encountered a clog with an electric toilet.

Steve

I can tell you why "they" would tell you this. "They" live in the real world of charter boats. I have been boating for over thirty years. I have been managing charter boats for over ten years. I promise you that no one is making up stories of clogged heads. It happens all the time.

While Jabsco and other manufacturers claim you can flush tp down the reality is much different. First off even on the best maintained boats the hoses are never fully clear of build up. The macerator blade on the average electric head is about two inches in diameter and is chopping up what ever you put in it. Then pushing it first through a small joker valve. Then it enters a one inch hose that is likely smaller in interior diameter than when new. Then through a second joker valve that steps the pipe up to inch and a half diameter hose. It is also has a vertical rise of around three feet to get to the top of the tank. Add in inexperience and to much paper and it is a fatal flaw.

Heads in boats are never capable of preforming like they do in a laboratory testing environment. So ask yourself is it worth it? Do you want to spend time on vacation removing a macerator full of fecal matter and waste to clear a clog? Then try to stand on your head and reinstall it? Have you ever seen the tiny o ring that separates your space in the bathroom from the raging pressurized waste inside the macerator. It makes the original space shuttle o rings look like a good design. They are nearly impossible to re-use and require the patience of Job to reinstall.

Also add in the fact that there are no pump out facilities to speak of in any of the Virgin's. So what goes in the head goes in the water.

So you have planned your trip out in detail. Do yourself and your crew a favor and plan to use zip locks, diaper wipes and a trash can. You charter will go better.

Jay

Totally agree....baby wipes in a ziplock bag is not gross, if you do it right!

Colleen

[Linked Image]