Back in April 2016, my family and I embarked on our first bareboat charter in the BVI's. Overall we had a good week but, due to weather and family dynamics, I said I wouldn't bareboat again. (I posted a trip report soon afterwards but am not sure how to post a link to it.) My husband and I ended up in STJ for a week in Sept 2016 as a result of my not getting my "fix" during the April trip.

In April 2018 we returned to STJ and had a fantastic trip. However, during that trip I couldn't justify the cost of a private day charter to the BVI's so we stayed in the USVI's the whole time. I was sorry that we couldn't visit our favorite spots in the BVI's and support them after the hurricanes. I seem destined to boomerang between the USVI's and the BVI's, being in one and missing the other, until my husband and I achieve the stage in life where we can take two full weeks and do both in the same trip!

Well, here we are in July, and I just snagged amazing airfare to STT for vacation week April 2019. This will be my husband, myself, and our younger son who is an avid sailor, and we are considering bareboating again. We will rent a monohull if we are by ourselves or we may try to find another family to share a catamaran. Which leads me to my question: what are good criteria to use when evaluating whether or not people are a good fit to share a charter? I've seen recent posts with helpful suggestions about how to make sure people are committed financially but there are other factors as well. For example:
  • Eat at restaurants or cook on the boat?
  • Sail or sit on the beach?
  • Neat or not?
  • Breakfast Beer yay or Breakfast Beer nay

What criteria am I missing?

Many thanks to all on this forum who continue to provide good insight and advice!
FromAway

Last edited by fromaway3774; 07/18/2018 10:01 PM.