Originally Posted by DandM29212
The thing, though, isn't to get into a island to island comparison. We really like all islands for different reasons and I think everyone should appreciate each place they visit for what it offers - no two places are the same. We love the diving around Grand Cayman. We loved all the boating activities that Grand Cayman had to offer. We appreciated how organized Christmas activities were as well as all the Christmas decorations. We appreciated how they're building new roads and other infrastructure! We loved the diversity of Grand Cayman's West End versus East End, just like SXM Dutch vs French sides. Gotta say, for sure, Grand Cayman's airport sucks! At least improvements are under construction, but boy, SXM's Princess Juliana has few equals! With all the countless examples of the worst government possible and total lack of leadership in SXM, how did that EVER get built???

In SXM, we love Grand Case, Orient, Club O, Happy Bay, on and on - I think most people will say that nudies are a very inclusive and friendly group and we love that aspect of SXM as much as the friends we've made there over the years. I think that's one feature about St Martin that draws a very, very loyal contingent all the time! We love Mardi Tuesdays in Grand Case. I could write many other great features about both islands, as well as St John, BVI's, Hawaii, Guadaloupe, etc, etc., but it all boils down to your own needs, interests, and subjectivity. Saying someplace is better than another is only right for that person. If there were a "best island", everyone would flock there and avoid everywhere else, right? For us, while we love SXM, we also appreciate the variety and beauty of what other islands offer too, different from those who prefer to go back to the same place / ("their own best place"!) every year for their vacations. Different things for different people, right?

Everyone's entitled to their own opinions, but perhaps we should all be less opinionated about them, more open minded, and appreciate everyone and everywhere a little more - just like the U.S. in general and in particular!!

I've always avoided Cayman Islands as a destination for my vacations as one of my friends who visited there told me that they're over-hyped and not worth it. But your above analysis changed my mind. If he did not like the place, that doesn't mean that I too won't like it. Will surely plan a vacation at the Islands soon.