Back in the 80s, I was lucky enough to fly into Lajes Field on the island of Terceira 6 or 7 times - I was in the military. I never stayed more than 48 hours on the island, and most the time we would land around 6 am and take off the next day.

However even in those short stays I fell in love with the Azores. The stone streets, and rock walls lining the pastures were beautiful. The people, the food, and being in the middle of the ocean all added to my experiences.

One of my fondest memories was landing very early morning (before sunrise). With no rooms available in the transit barracks, we jumped in a taxi and headed downtown to as small café (ok bar) along the seawall. As the sun rose, fishermen who had been out all-night working began to filter into the small establishment. Eating warm bread, drinking Espresso with shots of brandy on the side we joined them in broken English telling tales of the sea.

The Azores is a place where I had the feeling that the modern world was still somewhere over the horizon. Please Please Please do a trip report.

“Every time I open a bottle of wine, it is an amazing trip somewhere!” José Andrés