Hello, everyone. I'm new to this forum, and you all seem like a knowledgeable group that might be able to offer me some advice.

I will be on SXM on a Saturday next month as part of a Carnival cruise (in port 7am-5pm). I'm hoping to rent a car so that I can visit several areas of the island in that short time. I have found a great rate at Alamo by the airport ($19, including taxes), but I'm worried it's a little too good to be true. I found some pretty horrific reviews on Tripadvisor about customers being charged for scratches to cars that they definitely didn't cause (even when they took before and after pictures to prove it wasn't their fault). The Tripadvisor reviews are old, but Google reviews from as recent as a week ago tell similar stories. I've experienced dishonest car rental companies before, and I know how that can ruin a trip.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTop...mo_there_FRAUD-St_Martin_St_Maarten.html

Also, I find it odd that Google Maps shows two different locations for Alamo: one along the northern perimeter of the airport runway, and one southeast of the runway, on the way to McDonald's. Which one is right? I wish I could confirm with street view, but it doesn't look like that's available on the island.

Has anyone rented from this Alamo location recently? If so, how was your experience? If you had problems, do you have another reasonably priced company you would recommend?

Also, I'm wondering how long would it take to get from the cruise port to the airport area by bus on a Saturday morning? I don't mind walking 15 minutes to get to Front Street, or wherever the nearest bus stop is. Obviously I'm trying to be as frugal as possible while still being able to see a lot of the island. Otherwise I would just rent from Coastal right at the cruise port, for $69.

Thanks in advance!