Having just revisited the Mayan Riviera after a 16 year gap, I would suggest to avoid PDC as a base. IMHO, the place has been ruined by cheap bars and restaurants (a la Senior Frogs), crappy souvenir shops, and loud mouthed tourists. Very much following Cancun in this way, which is sad, as it used to be a fantastic little town full of character.

In fact, badly regulated tourism development has turned the entire coast from Cancun down to Tulum into an endless strip of mega resorts and "eco adventure" sites (many of which don't give a damn about being eco friendly).

I know I may sound overly negative, and apologize in advance. But having visited the place a number of times in the past when the coast and its Mayan culture and history were still relatively intact, laid-back and treated with the necessary respect, it was rather sad to see the negative impact of rampant, mass tourism development.

Amazingly, go a little inland, and the Yucatan reveals itself again as a place of rich history, culture and a lingering sense of mysticism, with friendly people, and honest and good food. Places like Valladolid, ruins like Ek Balam and Coba. And for the coast, go south of Tulum!

But if you're looking for all night fun, sleeping it off on the beach, visit a few totally overrun ruins and pay top dollar for a few cheap eco thrills, by all means stay in PDC.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[Linked Image]