[quote=BaardJ]There's a strong current tidal current there and even breaking seas with a heavy north swell so I could see the channel filling in again pretty quickly.

Local boats have been running the cut for years with apparently no problem and they know to avoid it when there's heavy north swell. For charterers it's only a 1.4nm (15 minute) longer route to Leverick via the already well marked, deep water Colqohoun passage, albeit a bit more windward work.

If the gov't actually had funds available, there are several buoyage projects they could undertake that would have a meaningful impact to boater safety (even though these hazards are well described in cruising guides that often go unread by charterers). SeaTow and Moorings would be a good source for a top 10 list.

1) Better mark the passage between Long Bay, Tortola and Little Camanoe. Although it's on most charter company 'off limits' area, I regularly see charter boats passing through here and I know of several boats that have ripped off their keel on the submerged rock midways in the channel.

2) Mark the semi-submerged rock that is ~300 yards east of Marina Cay. At least 2 boats have struck this in the past few years, and from the photo it looks like the power cat that went on the rocks last week also hit this one.

3) Improve the buoyage into the entrances to White Bay, JVD. Place a few yellow cans to mark the outer edge of the reef, similar to Johnson Reef, to help avoid charterers surfing their boat over the reef.

4) Place a buoy to seaward of Sandy Spit reef. A couple boats grounded on this reef in the past few years and were totaled.

5) Re-mark Saildoggie Rock off Sandy Cay with a more robust buoy, chain, and bottom screw.

6) Place a buoy or two to mark the shallow reef just west of the Government Pier at Setting Point, Anegada. Lots of boats have been pulled off this one.

7) Mark the Two Brothers reef on the approach to Anegada. Several boats have hit this by taking the direct route to/from Setting Point and North Sound. ///////

Two brothers or twin sisters?

Last edited by GeorgeC1; 01/30/2019 11:27 AM.