I don't think anyone needs to worry about fire coral on SXM. Most corals have stinging cells (nematocysts), but unless you're really active diving you shouldn't encounter anything. What Bill and Elaine say above is a little concerning. You should never touch a jellyfish dead or alive because their stinging tentacles remain active for a short time even after they wash up on a beach front. I know first hand because my older sister got stung like this years ago down in Florida when she stepped on one accidentally. Throwing them onto the sand is simply idiotic, and sets up barefooted tourists to do the same (sometimes I can't believe the things I read on this board!). People like to walk the beach back-and-forth, and my wife and I love this as well. But, we either wear beach shoes or sandals to avoid things that can harm your feet. Black long-spine urchins can often be found just off shore in rocky areas and if you step on one of these guys the barb is going into you foot. Besides, protecting your feet if you encounter sharp rocks is also a smart idea. Just wear some flip-flops and you'll be fine.