Here is my take on Marigot. I was there earlier this month on a cruise ship stop and cannot understand why the government does not do more to improve the looks of the city. I know Irma did a lot of damage, but there are empty building that pre-date Irma that look really depressing. Walking the streets you see too many boarded up shops that are pre-Irma. There are a lot of cars parked in town because the workers all want to park their cars next to their place of work. That leaves no spaces for customers. Before Irma, the government started a program to force the local workers to park at a lot just out of the downtown area, but it never worked. I just do not think the government is really serious about making the town welcoming to tourists. It may just be a French cultural issue, I just do not understand it.

Regarding safety. I remember walking through Marigot one evening as being stopped by someone asking for money in a way that made me feel uneasy. I have been asked for money all over the world, and am not easily made to worry about my safety. The problem may come from immigrants who cannot work an have no sources of income. Every so often the gendarmes will run a sweep to get these people to leave.

Anyway, that is based on multiple visits to St Martin, including many stays in Marigot, many walks through Marigot, and many talks with locals over the last 20 years.

Beach Hunter