I suppose this is a good thing, but there are two sides to every story. I believe since Irma some individuals have turned their personal vehicles into 'unofficial taxis' to help earn money for themselves and their families. In fact, I'm sure of this. Many people on St. Maarten are still suffering economically, and making money in this 'unofficial' manner was an alternative for them. I'm not saying this is right, because there are many concerns here. If they are not licensed as taxi drivers you can't be certain about who's driving you from point A to point B. And, what their background is. Do they carry the proper insurance should an accident occur, and if their passengers are injured is another concern.

When taking a taxi on SXM my advice is to ask and verify that they work for a licensed taxi company on the island. This is especially true for day visitors from cruise ships who often forego the overpriced shore excursions offered by the cruise lines and plan to explore on their own when they make port in Philipsburg.