Originally Posted by jonmar

Anyway, I’m not anti smoker. I just think the island could get into the 2000s with their smoking rules. Vegas did and survived.

Originally Posted by CaribLee
I'm with you on the smoking issue. Nothing worse than trying to enjoy a good meal only to have someone light up a cigarette right next to you. It is the one thing I dislike most about St. Maarten.

The reason we see a lot of smokers in SXM (and also all the other Caribbean islands) is there are a lot of European tourists that visit their country and Europeans like to smoke. that's fine with me. The problem with Americans is every country they visit they expect USA laws and rules. Well it doesn't work that way. When you visit another country that upsets you because they do things differently and you don't like it, it's very simple, don't go there. I have been to many countries and I have been embarrassed when I see some Americans act the way they do. Why do you think the saying " the Ugly Americans" started? So when you see smokers in SXM chances are they are either Dutch or French. It is their country.