I wonder if the airlines ever thought about putting first class width seats only on their planes. Let 1st class stay as it is with their own FA, restroom and unlimited drinks etc. Instead of having 6 seats across in coach there would be 4 seats across. There could still be coach at 6 across but between 1st/business and coach could be "comfort" section. Now I understand that this will reduce the capacity of the plane by 1/3 but if they increase the cost of the ticket a commensurate amount of the seats lost, I would be willing to bet that many more people would prefer it. Here;s how it would work and I will use general numbers. Say there are 6 seats across at $500 per seat. That would bring in $3000 revenue. Now take that $3000 and divide it by 4 and the cost is now $750. I would imagine that same flight in 1st class would be well in excess of $1200-$1500. I don't want or need all that 1st class offers but I also don't want to feel like I am in a can of sardines, especially if I'm in the middle seat. I think this would be a viable alternative and if I were in a position to do so in a major airline, I'd try it on a select few routes and planes to see if it worked. I imagine it would also cut down on expenses for the airlines (less, catering, less fuel) which could then open up additional revenue sources by hauling cargo.

[Linked Image]