Lack of quality wine is not surprising...it was not prohibition driven but certainly there is a cultural history in the Saint John River area against alcohol of all types. Growing up in Montreal my parents were from Woodstock NB about 2 hours north of Saint John and an hour north of the provincial capital, Fredericton. Each summer us kids were put on the overnight train from Montreal to spend the summer in Woodstock surrounded by Baptist relatives. From Saint John, on the coast, north to Grand Falls, the Saint John River valley was known as the Baptist Bible Belt of Canada.

Woodstock in those days was a dry town with the exception of the Royal Canadian Legion. Woodstock's main street, where one set of my grandparents lived, was lined with churches...Wesleyan across the street, Anglican, Baptist, Catholic, United down the street. As I journeyed through my teens, my friends and I could obtain illicit beer from corner stores in Montreal but there was no chance of that happening in Woodstock. I found it funny that it was ok for a WWII or Korean war veteran to start drinking at 9AM at the Legion, drinking himself silly to the point of passing out under the canon on the front lawn of the court house, where he peed his pants while sleeping, but you and I could not have a glass of wine with our lobster roll at supper time (dinner time was noon in those parts).

In the '70s someone bought the old fire hall on Main Street with plans to open the Fiddlehead Pub (sidebar: fiddleheads are picked in the spring along creek and river banks, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiddlehead_fern) The towns churches banded together to block the liquor licence application at the Provincial government level. The Publican guy then bought a property outside the town limits and tried again...the town went to the Province to expand the town boundaries to include the new location and blocked him again.
Sometime in the 80's the strings were loosened and social drinking became allowed...if not 100% accepted.

My paternal grandfather caught the largest salmon ever recorded on the Saint John River, just below the world's longest covered bridge at Hartland, NB. A couple of years later a large hydro damn just north of Fredericton destroyed salmon fishing...so Grampy's record is safe. :-)