Originally Posted by Carol_Hill
You don't need Euros, EVER. Dollars are fine everywhere, including for taxis. As far as the cost for the taxi to GCBC, depending on time of day, I would guess around $30-$35, plus bags, unless it's late in the evening. Confirm the cost with the driver before you get in the car. Don't know about ATMs. Never used them in SXM.

Carol...meant to bring this up before. You state "don't need Euros ever" Perhaps you were just referring to Taxis? However, wanted to ask this question, perhaps stupid, I don't know so here goes. I very rarely use credit cards and just spend cash in dollars. However, most of the restaurants I visit are usually based on the french side as have my favs and all of them charge in Euros and then convert to dollars. (never managed to get 1 for 1.) Some are fairer than others. So today's rate is around 1.12 and lets say that they mark it up to 1.20. I sometimes have wondered if its invoiced in Euros, why not pay in Euro's or by the time I have been charged the exchange rate mark up, would I technically be no better of? I do recall buying a top for my wife last year in Euros that they marked up to 1.25 when the rate was about 1.14. So I was interested to hear your comment of never needing Euros and appreciate yours and others comments, keeping in mind I am just not a CC guy.