Dave just asked me the following...thought maybe it might be useful info for others chartering in the near future...

"I wanted to see if I could get more detail from you about your visit to the New Oil Nut Bay. We will be in BVI in June via Sunsail. Like you, I think we would prefer to avoid Leverick issues and anchor at Prickly Pear My questions are:

How is Prickly Pear? are they open? food?
Did you dingy over to Oil Nut? Any issues?
Did you go over to Oil Nut for just happy hour?"

Reply Quote

Hi Dave,

Earlier this week we anchored off Prickly Pear, in front of The Sandbox...slightly towards the entrance channel to North Sound. The holding was superb, anchor didn't move an inch. Beautifully flat there, we spent 2 nights...no mooring fees! Anchored in about 12ft of water.

We took dinghy right up to the furthest bit of Oil Nut (by their beach Club) and anchored on the sandbar just behind the reef. Snorkelled from the dinghy...saw 15 Green Turtles, rays...all sorts. Nobody from ONB came to try and chase us away, so all good!

We then backtracked in dinghy to their new Marina Village. Had some lunch, drinks, used their pool...an hour or so was long enough for us. It's really swish and they are super friendly.

Then took dinghy all the way down North Sound to Leverick...ordered takeout to collect later...then back to boat.

Just before sunset we took dinghy back down to Leverick, picked up dinner and returned to enjoy in the cockpit whilst watching the sunset.

We had 12-17 knots of wind during our stay and all of the above was easy, comfortable and a lot of fun.

So much fun...that we did it all again the next day!

Hope that helps! Shout if you had any other questions, happy to help!

Oh and Sandbox on Prickly is shut...half built...I really doubt it will be open in June, nobody was working on it.