We all need to understand most crimes like these are crimes of opportunity. The bad guys are familiar with the surroundings, the streets, the quick getaways etc and thrive on the opportunity to take advantage of those that aren't familiar, typically tourists. The idea of being aware of your surroundings is something that has been instilled in me after 25 years in law enforcement. My wife is constantly asking me why I don't seemed relaxed when we go on vacation and I tell her it's because I am always in cop mode. That usually means that I keep my head on a swivel, watch for abnormal behaviors/movements etc. I tell my wife to leave jewelry at home, don't wear necklaces that can be ripped off her neck and always have her purse strap across her body. While these things won't prevent crimes, they can reduce the possibility of her being a victim. Just because someone is on vacation in a "vacation area" doesn't mean the bad guys aren't there. Orlando has the magic kingdom and Mickey's house has plenty of crime. The dirtbags can pick out tourists from a mile away. When I lived in New York you could always tell the tourists by the camera around their neck and always looking up at the tall buildings. The crooks the just waited until these folks were near a subway entrance, snatched the jewelry or purse or camera and ran down the stairs. Crime occurs everywhere and the gamut runs the entire spectrum from petit theft to murder.

[Linked Image]