I spent a week in Cayman in March with 3 others. Trip report is on TTOL. This was our 2nd trip to GC. We had 8 of us on 1st trip and used 2 rental cars because we were up by Rum Point.

The 4 of us this trip were on 7Mile a mile so up from GT.

We took buses constantly. Trip from GT Villas was $2-3 U.S. and also about the same to Turtle Farm. I think the driver explained the price as being $2 Cayman and I just gave $3 everytime.

Buses worked VERY WELL, but learn to spot buses (colored circle with a number on front of minibus/minivan), vs. taxis (taxi sign in window or on roof of minibus/minivan).

A taxi for 2-4 people to GT might cost $20+ easily, but a bus might be about $12, or less.

It is easy to hale taxis or buses, just walk on the side of the road that has traffic going in the direction you wish to go, or stand on the side of the road with traffic going in the direction you wish to go. A bus will simply hook a couple of short bursts, and you simply raise your arm up, and bus will pull over by you or in front of you. Just make sure you are signaling a bus to stop, not a taxi.

Co-travlers didn't always pick up on the slight difference which resulted in a non-too slight increase in trip costs.

Buses are fun, taxis are more direct. Buses sometimes go on alternate routes to drop off locals, don't be alarmed; its all apart of the experience.

We had some panic when everyone boarded the bus, and the driver did a U-turn and headed the opposite direction. He was simply heading back inland to drop some locals off, and was soon back on the road in the right direction.

The decision between bus vs. taxi, will be on convenience, how much of a rush and cost. Depending upon how many trips you plan daily a car may be cheaper in the end. We took buses practically everyday, and a taxi more out of mistake than desire.

You can also walk to many destinations depending upon where you are on 7Mile.

Good luck.