In that case, I would opt for the other (but longer route). Instead of hanging a left after the bridge, take a right turn where the new Texaco gas station is. This is Union Road, I believe. You will follow this road east for about a mile, and stay on it as it bends towards the south. The traffic circle will come up quick and exit onto Brouwer Road which will wind around and go 'up and down' until you reach the next traffic circle. Stay on Brouwer Road as it will now head north and then northeast past the large ACE hardware store. Brouwer Road sort of becomes Scott Road and you'll see the large Carrefour Market on your right. You can stop hear and load up with groceries after getting a bite to eat at one of my favorite stops, Mark's Place! Now, it gets a little tricky. At the next traffic circle exit right onto Bush Road (there's a Pizza Hut/KFC on the corner). In roughly 500 feet or so you're going to take a left turn onto Zagersgut Road. I believe there's a Petrol gas station on the left side where you turn so you may want to watch for that. In about a half mile on Zagersgut Road you will encounter yet another traffic circle right past the Tiremaxx (if that place is still there). The road now becomes A.T. Illidge Road, but be sure to follow it to the NORTHEAST and not the south exit.

You're still very much on the Dutch side of St. Maarten so continue to follow Illidge Road north/northeast and you will eventually see the McDonald's that Carol was referring to near the traffic circle. Bear north into French St. Martin and you will see the border monument letting you know you have crossed over. The road will soon bend to the northeast and you're heading directly towards Orient Bay. They'll be a little hill and curve right before St. Joseph's church and just continue on until you reach the primary entrance for Orient Village and turn right. Easy, right? once again, I would suggest doing this drive in daylight hours rather than after dark. This route avoids both Marigot and Phillipsburg, so it may prove to be better in the long run. Good luck.