Seascape,

I’ve dealt with the same SXM jeweler annually for the past 36 years and he’s NEVER let me down. That would be the Caribbean Gems family and specifically Manu and Max, but again, we ALL have our favorites and most returning guests form those alliances early on.

But the thing is, I agree heartily with ruralcarrier regarding him getting educated about diamonds before your son hits the island. He should spend time with a jeweler and learn about the four C’s with reference to diamond buying and he should have an idea of the size and grading quality he’s interested in as well as an amount he’s willing to spend and take it from there. Wheel and deal or not because most reputable jewelers have a bottom line on their merchandise and once they reach it, they’re done. The important thing is having a clue in what that should be.......

As I’m sure you already know, the item price as marked means nothing and you really need to bargain, and cash is usually king. The things I would look for include a GIA certified dealer, a stone I loved and a price I was comfortable with.

Good luck to your son and much happiness to him and to the lucky lady he’s shopping for.

Respectfully,

pat

"Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat
them."