The rate we paid was just under $200 per day (including taxes), I believe...so not cheap but we needed something large. The daily rate would have been less had we rented it for a week. We had the Durango for 1 day prior to going to St. John and 1 day on the return. In the past I always use AMEX for rentals when I'm down there but they refused to take it. So I used a Visa card. The "damage" charge was bogus. They knew it, I knew it and they knew I knew it. But I was in a hurry to get to the airport and also in a huge dispute with Visa/a merchant in Florida that did some work to our pool deck ($10,000) that had been going on for 3 months and that was a nightmare. So I decided not to contest the charge. If it hadn't been for that situation I wouldn't have let it slide.
When they refused my AMEX card I was suspicious and asked them how much per day for insurance and they said "we don't offer that anymore." I felt like something was up but had people waiting for me. Lesson learned but I feel others should be warned.
I have to say that in all of my years of visiting 3-4 times a year since I moved back to the States in the late 80s, I let a lot slide when I'm there. Rude servers, taxi drivers who overcharge, restaurants who add "tax"....you know. This is not the behavior of the Virgin Islanders of the 1970s and 1980s when I lived there who appreciated the fact that I was even there. I decided a long time ago to try and have a different mindset and not get upset when things are not as I would expect in the US. Consequently I expect less. Sometimes I'm disappointed but usually not. But when something like this happens I don't go back for more.