FRANCE part 6, August 2019

I woke up extremely o-dark early and my wife was sound asleep and the room was so dark and so quiet, I couldn't lie there anymore. I snuck out quietly on my own to watch the sunrise, which was unimpressive behind the heavy clouds. I was alone on the streets except for a rare passing work truck, I liked that. I made it to the lake and as far as a small marina. I was in search of bike or boat rentals. Our daughters roommate was just in Annecy and said the bike ride along the lake was a highlight. After watching the geese do geese things I found a cup of coffee and the cafe manger said he'll serve breakfast at 0700, so back to the room to see if she was stirring.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Around 0730 we were up and about. We took our rain gear because it was that kind of a morning. A return to the lake was nice and still very quiet. Found some boating options then back in to town to try to find a new sim card because mine was out of data from mapquesting, 4G is not enough! Even in the occasional down pour we enjoyed our walk through Old Town, stopping in clothing shops and eventually entering the Eglise Notre Dame de Liesse, another beautiful church, candle lit!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It looked like the weather was gonna be poor all day, that won't stop us, so we decided to hop in the car and drive to Chamonix to try to get a glimpse of the highest peak in this part of Europe, Mont Blanc. Weather ceiling was extremely poor all day, but the drive through the Alps was very enjoyable with dramatic cloud coverage. Chamonix reminded us of ski towns in Switzerland we have visited, it included a partial view of a close up glacier, pics not so nice, but nice just the same! The rain was intermittent so we shopped a little in the many outdoor gear shops. Decided to drive the back roads on the return to Annecy, even took a detour to the site of the 1992 Winter Olympics, Albertville!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

After descending from the mountainside we were welcomed by glorious sunshine nearing Lake Annecy. We decided to stop for dinner at a micro-hotel on the water, beautiful sunset created great atmosphere for wonderful food and wine. Donna had a delicious trout dish and I had the thickest and most tender piece of veal I've ever had. By the way we found the prices for top notch dinners, including wine, to be really reasonable all throughout France, but if you want to spend $$$ that is available too!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Back in Annecy we spent the rest of the evening walking the lovely town in outstanding weather. Annecy stays awake until about 10pm, then it becomes sleepy, the way we like it most of the time.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

To be continued....