Hello all,

Here is a quick trip report for our trip up the Exuma Island Chain. First let me say we have chartered in the BVI's many times and where looking for a different experience. We arrived into Georgetown where we took a cab to the Exuma Yacht Club where we where met by the local Captain Adam. (I should also mention Island Girl is owned privately and not part of a charter company, I guess that is why their rates are so competitive)The boat was a 2008 Leopard 46' that was recently purchased out of the moorings fleet in St' Lucia and delivered to GT by the owners.

The boat was in great shape and had recently returned from a haulout in Fort Lauderdale where they did numerous upgrades.

Once we where settled into the boat Adam walked us through all the systems and made sure we where comfortable with everything. Which we where as we had chartered this model in the BVI's.

Adam than went over the charts with us and provided some great local knowledge about our trip up to Nassau. Provisioning was a breeze as the grocery store is right across the street from the dock as is the liquor store. We even had someone from the grocery store push our cart to
the boat and helped us unload.

We departed GT the next morning and had a great downwind sail up to Little Farmers cay. This 45 mile passage requires you to head out to the deep water but once you enter Little Farmers you are on the banks the rest of the way up to Nassau. Over the next week we had great sailing and set anchor in places like, Staniel Cay, Compass Cay, Exuma National Land and Sea Park, Norman's, Allan's Cay and on to Nassau. There are so many great places we had to pass by as there just isn't enough time to see them all. Due to the orientation of the islands you are always sailing NW with wind on your beam or just behind it.

I was most impressed with the beautiful remote anchorages and the feeling like you had the place to yourself, not to mention some of the best snorkeling. As we all know this differs greatly from the BVI's where the anchorages are all pretty crowded. What you do get in the BVI's that you won't find in the Exuma's is the party seen and numerous restaurant choices. Don't get me wrong there are places to eat out it is just more limiting.

In closing I would say this is really a unique experience which is definitely worth checking out. Island Girl was a great boat that performed very well and we are already looking to make plans for next year.

Regards,
John

Last edited by Carol_Hill; 07/11/2013 09:39 AM.