"a tad fishy" … perhaps. This whole CBP situation is something I can't quite put a finger on. This past week I drove to our state capital to apply for a 'REAL I.D.' and was turned away. Apparently the most important piece of identification needed was a current non-laminated Social Security Card. My original card I had laminated decades ago. I was instructed to visit my local Social Security Administration office and apply for a new card, and then return. I thought this was strange as I had with me my passport, my current driver's license, my FAA private pilot's license, my Global Entry card, my conceal carry license, my certified birth certificate, my deed to our home, and my old original Social Security Card (although laminated). All of this was insufficient to issue me a 'REAL I.D.'

Okay, I'll chalk it up to government bureaucracy, but then …. I've had Global Entry coming on ten years. The first 5th year renewal was completed online easily without a hitch. Since my membership expires soon, I began the process for another renewal. Nothing has really happened differently in my life the past five years and believed the process would be quick and easy as before. I then found the program has been rolled into something different, so I followed the instructions to transfer my membership to the new 'Trusted Traveler Program' under www.ttp.cbp.gov as instructed. I completed the renewal application online and paid the required $100.00 fee. I then received notice that it could be as long as ONE YEAR before my application could be reviewed due to the current backlog.

I understand the Department of Homeland Security has 240,000 employees, although apparently no one is available to review Global Entry renewals. My next problem is that I just received a new passport and need to enter the new number into the Global Entry system. I found that because my application is currently being held for review, the system will not allow me to enter the information from my new passport and states I must visit a CBP Center. I will be at the Denver Airport next week, but checking I find CBP is not scheduling any appointments at this time. Okay, I'll be going through Houston on my way to Roatan in a few weeks, but I found CBP is not scheduling any appointments there either. I can't help thinking something is going on, but can't figure it out.

Noel Hall
"It is humbling indeed, to discover my own opinion is only correct less than 50% of the time."

www.noelhall.com