So we are in a different situation. We are independent travelers so it is all on us.

Complicating things to save money, I booked our tickets through the Lufthansa web site. However we are flying to Europe on Swiss Air and Returning from Europe on United. So the question becomes, who do you call when things go south. I decided to try to figure that out.

So I started by calling Lufthansa. The Lufthansa agent (A HUMAN) picked up on the first ring! I was very happy!!

I explained the situation of buying my tickets online from Lufthansa, but flying on their partners Swiss Air and United for my trip. She reviewed my record… Drum roll please….

Sir, Lufthansa, and their partners, are still operating normally to Rome. Currently, there are no waivers for rescheduling or cancelling at this time to Rome. However, if the virus continues and it causes service to be stopped or suspended to Rome then you will contact Lufthansa and reschedule with no fees or you will be able to cancel and receive a full refund.

So our place in Rome, I can cancel up to 24 hours before the date. (Yes, I could have saved money by paying up front... but I did not)

Our place in Tuscany is a prize for winning a contest. If we go I will be flipping over the moon.... If not - nothing lost.

As for quarantine: Six weeks from now my guess is that Italy will be over the hump and the USA will be in the thick of it.
So Italy probably will not want us (or not allow us) to come. The shoe will be on the other foot.
But if they made me stay in my home for 14 days on my return... I would say thank you.
If they put me in a barracks in the suburbs of DC, I would be very unhappy.
If they said, you cannot leave Italy and you will have to stay in this designate place.... I would ask which wine they were serving.

So there is just too many unknowns that I cannot worry at this time. We are suppose to leave 4/15. By then the US Government or the Italian Government will tell me if I welcomed or cannot travel.

Until then I will live by my new mantra...

Please say a prayer for all those who are sick, and then go WASH your HANDS!!!!

“Every time I open a bottle of wine, it is an amazing trip somewhere!” José Andrés