Originally Posted by Latadjust

Can you elaborate on the sail to St Croix - time of departure, conditions, time of arrival, return? This sounds like a cool sail, new adventure!

This is ~34nm so it's a "long" sail compared to what we're used to. We were sailing a Beneteau 45. We left from Salt Pond Bay on St John. We had 15 to 20 knot wind with seas of 4 to 6. We made it down to St. Croix in 5 hours and back up in 4.5. Actually on the way down I turned the boat around and went back to St. John on the first attempt as my wife starting puking about 15 miles into it. The second attempt we drugged her up and she was fine. We left Salt Pond at about 7:00 and pulled in to Green Cay marina (about 2 miles outside of Christiansted) for two nights. The bill there for the slip+power plus 22 gallons diesel (slightly over $2/gallon) and a tank of dingy gas came to $309. The marina was very quite with nice/clean amenities.

I'm pretty sure we'll do that trip again - it was a nice sail. And there is more to see than we had time for. The passage was a little wet at times and a little more challenging that we're used to but definitely worth it.

If you are on a CYOA boat you should check on what qualifications you need - they are different than sailing around St. John.

I will see about writing up a report from the trip soon.

Last edited by agrimsrud; 07/01/2020 09:00 PM.

Life's short - sail more!