Unregistered wrote -

"The only place we felt threatened was on Union Island. Will never go there again, just too dangerous"

Union Island is not dangerous in any way, but I know that many visitors have felt intimdated. There are reasons for this, and with some foresight, this feeling can be pretty well eliminated:

* Many of the youngsters there are somewhat pushy - when you arrive at an anchorage and you have a couple of small boats with fellows clamouring for your business, this can be intimidating. I've heard, many a time, a yachtsman roar "Go away!" Immediately, the problem has been created. Consider looking them in the eye, and responding firmly but politely - you will earn respect and they will back off

* Union Island has something like 45% unemployment, no hospital and no higher education facilities. Remember this when you go there, and remember that when youngsters who live in a wooden shack with no running water or toilet, see visitors arriving on a yacht that's worth more than they will see in their lifetime, they will "try it on" to see what they can get. I suppose that's human nature.

* The fellows do offer a number of services which can be useful - getting you ice or provisions, helping you anchor or tie to the dock, taking your garbage, showing you around, taking you fishing, whatever. Try and give them a bit of business - it costs around $EC 60 ($US 24) to tie stern-to at the dock - that's about 50% more than the gross daily salary of someone (bar-tender, waiter) who works at a major hotel in St Vincent & The Grenadines

* Smile. Like the movies, the initial approach of these fellows might look like John Wayne with one hand on his hip and the other at his holster. But a broad smile breaks the ice - very quickly. A look of nervousness, together with a "Go away!" is simply fuel

* Don't over-tip. Balance is important - give them the business, yes, but don't throw money at them. I have seen, on countless occasions, a visitor "get rid of the nuisance" by passing over a $US 20 or $US 50 bill. That does not help - it confirms to them that visiting yachtsmen are rich idiots and so fair game

At the end of the day, whilst I'd agree that there is, of course, real crime in Union, just as anywhere in the world, the truth is that communication is key - and communication between folks should always a two-way street. Sadly, it is not always so.